POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Athlon Thunderbird/PIII numbers anyone? : Re: Athlon Thunderbird/PIII numbers anyone? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 04:54:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Athlon Thunderbird/PIII numbers anyone?
From: Ken
Date: 21 Oct 2000 03:42:47
Message: <39F1490A.ECCE24A@pacbell.net>
"Rev. Bob 'Bob' Crispen" wrote:

> Preferably in the neighborhood of 1 GHz?

950 Athlon - Skyvase.pov about 26 sec.. I don't have access to
a comparable P-III machine so no help there.

> I'm finally fixin' to sink this boat anchor of a P-133 and I desperately
> want something that'll render POVRay scenes fast, run modelers fast, and
> fill my life with sunshine, rainbows, and little birdies singing.

Since changing from a P-1 200 to a 950 Athlon I have rendered fast
(oh so very fast), rotated a 150,000 triangle mesh in Autocad in
near real time (no waiting for the view to update), my life is a
bit more sunny, seen diamonds in the sky, and the leetle birdies
couldn't be singing any louder with a bull horn stuck to their
precious little lips.

According to a very old DOS benchmark program I still have this
machine is 559,000 times faster at performing FPU calculations
than an 8088 with a math co-processor - but I have no idea how
accurate that really is (the numbers are fun to look at anyway).

I once briefly overclocked her to 1.1g and the performance increase
seemed negligible. A gain of only a couple of seconds on skyvase.
The CPU temp started heading for the sky so I backed er down to
950.

--
Ken Tyler