POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Intersection of three spheres? : Re: Intersection of three spheres? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Intersection of three spheres?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 19 Oct 2000 16:09:43
Message: <39EF5507.79B839A1@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> As I think about it the five possible cases are:
>     no intersection
>     1 pt
>     2 pts
>     a circle
>     a sphere
>
> For my application at hand, I am interested in the 2 pt scenario, if that
> makes the answer easier for anyone to find, thanks.

I'm not so sure, it has been some time, since i did that kind of math stuff, but
the general equation of a sphere is:

 ( x - xm )^2 + ( y - ym )^2 + ( z - zm )^2 - r^2 = 0

with <xm, ym, zm> the center of the sphere and r the radius.

Make it 3 different spheres and all equations being zero -> you should get the
result.

(I'm not totally sure about this, so feel free to correct me if there is a
mistake)

BTW, i suspect this does not solve your problem, because it's not a numerical
method, but maybe it helps somehow.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>