POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRAY, AMD K6-2, AND CRAPPY FANS : POVRAY, AMD K6-2, AND CRAPPY FANS Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  POVRAY, AMD K6-2, AND CRAPPY FANS
From: jason lechak
Date: 15 Oct 2000 01:14:26
Message: <39E93ED9.666F9A95@netzero.net>
Greetings all...

I just wanted to share this information in case someone runs into a
similar problem. I recently upgraded my system to a K6-2 500 MHz system,
and was eager to test out pov. To my dismay, during a simple animation
rendering, the system kept crashing at around frame 19. After several
days of trying to figger out what was wrong, I realized that there was
nothing wrong with the software or the system... why would it die ALWAYS
at or around frame 19? Answer: the CPU temperature vs. time is the same
each time the animation is rendered. At frame 19, the CPU 'overheated',
and the system died. So I got a decent fan and now it works great! The
fan that was on there was so pathetic; I don't know why I even thought
of putting it on there. Duh.

I hope others find this useful when they have mysterious system
crashes...

Best Regards,

jason lechak