POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Toughts about texturing system : Re: Toughts about texturing system Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:00:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Toughts about texturing system
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 4 Oct 2000 17:31:05
Message: <39DBA08E.FCEF2F6E@skynet.be>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 22:56:40 +0200, Fabien Mosen wrote:
> >
> >I can ask POV-Ray to retrieve it and put the rgb value on-screen,
> >without even rendering !  I can do the same (with a macro) for the
> >normal perturbations.  However, I can't do it for finishes.  If
> >you can, tell me how.
>
> Using a feature that doesn't exist.  Just because it doesn't exist
> doesn't mean it's not possible.

Nor the opposite ;-)

Retrieving the normal value is not an availiable feature, but I can
do it (without a camera anywhere) by using the surface's normal
and the normal pattern.

If you think that "retrieving the finish value at some point of
a surface, without a camera", is possible please explain me
(basically) how.  (even if it implies non-availiable features,
I'm just interested by the theorical principle).

By "finish value", I mean the rgb value that contributes to the
final material aspect at a given point.  Imagine a Red sphere,
with a white phong highlight.  The "finish value" is different for
points "covered" by the highlight, and for points that are
"outside" the highlight. (though the "finish parameters" are constant).

Fabien.