POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Problem with normal statement : Re: Problem with normal statement Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with normal statement
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 3 Oct 2000 07:19:31
Message: <39D9C0C4.35F036F9@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Pavel Fryda wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with normal statement. When I rendered following scene,
> I've got attatched picture as an output. It is distorted on it's left
> side. When I removed the line with normal statement, output seemed to be
> OK.
>
> Is it a bug in povray or in my source code?
>
> Please help.
>
> (I'm using POV-Ray for Windows Ver. 3.1g)

[...]

First of all, please don't post binary attachments in this newsgroup
(povray.binary.images can be used for this). Furthermore, jpg is the preferred
format.

Concerning your problem, I would estimate, the "scale 0.025" in the normal
statement probably causes a rounding error responsible for the strange
behaviour.  But i'm not sure about it.

For example
normal { granite 0.15 scale 0.1 }
looks much better although there are still strange things happening :-)

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>