POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Power for POVray : Re: Power for POVray Server Time
8 Jul 2024 03:35:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power for POVray
From: Heiner Maier
Date: 3 Oct 2000 03:02:59
Message: <39D9847A.92F34B37@gmx.net>
Mark Wagner schrieb:

> Heiner Maier wrote in message <39D8AC2E.6C0BB1A9@gmx.net>...
> >I found a great program to make POV for Windows much faster: PowerTOP
> >It can set the priority of processes under Windows! I made Povray3.1
> >about 150 percent faster by setting POV's priority to RealTime and
> >killing out some useless Winows-processes.
>
> From personal experience with this sort of thing, I've found:
> 1) For almost everyone, the boost will be much smaller -- 3% to 5%
> 2) Be VERY CAUTIOUS when setting programs to Real Time Priority.  This gives
> them higher priority than such things as the mouse, the keyboard, the disk
> cache, and possibly much of the kernel.
>
> Mark

Okay, i have an old P60 and there are running many processes that I can kill
with it. With 150% I mean that there is an acceleration of 50%, of course (think
of your math lessons). I'm sorry for this mistake!
You should set PTOP's Priority to "high" then at least the two programs, POV and
PTOP are reacting properly.
CU
    Heiner