POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I know this can not be a first : Re: I know this can not be a first Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I know this can not be a first
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 28 Sep 2000 09:26:46
Message: <39D346E0.1EBCB64@hotmail.com>
Matt Giwer wrote:

>         Creating each plate by means other than CGS will be a modest to severe
> math challenge depending upon the shape desired. And CGS would not
> always be applicable unless spline section of rotation. And the more
> methods are mixed the more difficult making the math used for each
> congruent.
>
>         Obviously there are downsides to this method. It appears essential to
> do everything from start to finish not only with a calculator but with
> everything in terms of analytic geometry, I think called algebraic
> geometry since I went through the drill. If CGS then the size of the
> surface is defined in terms of angular size and the cutting planes
> positioned by those angles.

I find your thoughts interesting.

Earlier I have worked on some macros that make smooth transitions
between some of the shapes formed by CSG primitives in POV-Ray.
(But since there did not seem to be much interest for such macros I
did not develop these much further.)

You may have a look at the posts in this thread to see if this is of any
relevance to your thoughts/plans:

(My thread started 16. April 2000 "Playing with CSG" to
povray.binaries.images.)

Tor Olav
--
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom