POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I know this can not be a first : Re: I know this can not be a first Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:17:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I know this can not be a first
From: John VanSickle
Date: 27 Sep 2000 23:05:32
Message: <39D2B670.E3822B48@erols.com>
Matt Giwer wrote:

> For some time I have been considering how to make extremely complex
> shapes such as Babylon 5. I considered on huge mesh but that is hugely
> memory intensive and has smoothing problems.

Smooth triangles take up something like 144 bytes each when they are
part of a mesh.

The Greb (one of my regular IRTC models) is made of ten different
meshes, some used once, some used twice, and a couple used four times.
Together there are over thirty thousand triangles in the Greb, but due
to mesh copying only 13,376 need be kept.  Together the meshes take up
around 2 Megs of ram, and if I add Greb, it takes only a little bit
mopre RAM.

Regards,
John