POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Quickest way for cubes : Re: Quickest way for cubes Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quickest way for cubes
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 27 Sep 2000 21:17:10
Message: <39D29C21.110CB83E@ij.net>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> Thanks, my render is now up to 14 minutes per 320 x 240 frame and I probably
> have less than 8000 cubes so far...
>
> I vaguely remember posting about how people had improved the superellipsoid,
> hoping they'd made it as fast as a cube! Perhaps with about 40-200  triangles I
> could make a sort of rounded-cube approximation.

	As it is defined as a superel each point must be evaluated with the
squares of the point and solved for the normal and such. A cube is just
a plane not needing the extra steps.  There is your time difference. You
can't beat that except by pretesting for the unexpected condition that
the constants make it a cube and then treating it as a cube. So making
it a cube in the first place is expected of the user.

--
Modern superstition: If we forget the horrors of the Nazis
they will rise again.