POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 4.0 Feature discussion : Re: 4.0 Feature discussion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4.0 Feature discussion
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 27 Sep 2000 08:57:53
Message: <39D1ED8A.56D45968@my-dejanews.com>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> POV already contains many features usually associated with
> modellers, but implementing renderer-specific features should always have higher
> priority.

Since I've been sort of an ornery troublemaker, here, let me affirm the wisdom of that
statement.  Yes, when it comes to investing POV-Team manhours into, say a new GUI
modeller's interface, or new higher-tech radiosity features,  then render-specific
features should have a higher priority.

Is is only when this "render-not-modeller" philosophy is applied to art criticism or
the
cool object-specific features of pov that I object.  Trace functions, isosurfaces,
#write, object patterns, and the like have very little to do with rendering, and a
purist application of "r-not-m" would probably poo-poo at these features.

Perhaps, however, that's part of the reason we end up with patches.