POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : normal amount and normal map : normal amount and normal map Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:12:11 EDT (-0400)
  normal amount and normal map
From: Chuck Roberts
Date: 15 Sep 2000 10:09:04
Message: <39C22D70.58AA7B42@alleganisd.org>
Say I have a texture like this:
#declare Texture1 = texture { //Reddish
    pigment { color rgb <0.790, 0.000, 0.000>
        } // pigment;
    normal {
        boxed
        normal_map {
            [ 0.250 bumps turbulence 0.2 ]
            [ 0.750 crackle turbulence 0.3 ]
            } // normal map
        scale <0.2, 0.1, 0.3>
        } //normal
} //texture

Normally, if you use a single pattern in a normal you need to
enter an amount. Like this:
#declare Texture1 = texture { //Reddish
    pigment { color rgb <0.790, 0.000, 0.000>
        } // pigment;
    normal {
        boxed .25
        scale <0.2, 0.1, 0.3>
        } //normal
} //texture

However, is the amount required for normal maps? Is it optional?
I rendered an image with a normal map, with the amount and
without the amount and got no errors. So I guess it's optional,
but legal to use.

--
See my Free stuff page. It compares free website providers, and
lists free internet access providers.

Win98 help file loaded with hints and tips, including securing a
Win 95/98 PC in a classroom setting. VB4 help file with lots of
code and hints.
At http://www.crosswinds.net/~robertsc/