POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 4.0 Feature discussion : Re: 4.0 Feature discussion Server Time
14 Sep 2024 01:10:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4.0 Feature discussion
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 11 Sep 2000 11:09:26
Message: <39BCF453.86BE037C@my-dejanews.com>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> Finding the exact volume is relatively easy for (closed) triangle meshes and
> some primitives, but in many other cases it is very difficult. IMO it would only
> be feasible if tessellation were implemented (and the volume found for the
> approximated mesh representation).

I finally wrote my own macro with help from Chris H.  It is in p.t.s.-f.  I've had
fun trying measuring the volume of isosurfaces.  My POV-Ray-modelled blob man has a
volume of 342.69 units. This information could be helpful if I ever want to make him
float. The volume of intersection between my flocking spaceships and an obstacle
course they are negotiating will be the quickest, most precise feedback for
improving it.

> Anyway - strictly speaking, such tasks are
> usually expected of a modeller, not a renderer like POV.

Dogbert wags his tail at the slogan "POV-Ray is a renderer, not a modeller."

So which "modellers" will allow me to compute the volume of the noise3d isosurface
I'm working on? Enable me to use scripting to make my blob man walk across that
isosurface?  Which ones enable me to set up a camera path across an
isosurface-landscape based on the trace function to avoid trees and rolling hills?
Make a pushbot game?  Make marbles roll all over an isosurface? Do a missile defense
simulation using the trace function and hand-written flocking algorithms?
Which of the modellers that do all this are free, and functional (vs. povlab),  mind
you?

Yes, there are folks out there only interested in rendering store-bought DXF's,  but
pov is  _so much more_  to many people.  I don't mean to be insulting, but it's just
that I think some people have a wooden view of all the cool things this software can
do!

Push the envelope. Expand your horizon. Povray is the coolest toy there is.