POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : uv mapping : Re: uv mapping Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:28:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: uv mapping
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 9 Sep 2000 07:08:49
Message: <39BA19B6.D5FE2D66@inapg.inra.fr>
ryan constantine wrote:

> i'm really trying for a solid mesh.  i need to cut a few things out
> later.  but if worse comes to worse, i'll rebuild the parts with the
> cutouts built in.

Actually this is not such a problem I think. Many models I've found on the Net or
elsewhere are made up of individual parts (meshes) that are independently
textured, possibly because it's more practical that way. Unless you have a 3D
painting tool that lets you manipulate the object like you'd do in real life,
you'll have to decide the best mapping for each part : the wings could use a
simple box uv mapping, the hull could use a cylindrical uv mapping and so on. The
cylindrical camera you've been dreaming about could be helpful in some cases, but
could be hard to manage in many others, because of the distortions.
G.