POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 4.0 Feature discussion : Re: 4.0 Feature discussion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:26:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4.0 Feature discussion
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 8 Sep 2000 14:31:30
Message: <39B92F4B.689930C9@my-dejanews.com>
Warp wrote:

>   Firstly: Why would you want a progressive render in the final image?

I can look at the first few seconds and then walk away.
Without a progressive render along the way, I would have to decide it's OK, then
change my POVRAY.INI (or --gasp-- use command line rendering)  and then render.

>   Secondly: With progressive render you can't use antialiasing.

You're obviously more informed than I, but must this be true?

AA happens by comparing pixel colors to those around it. If there is too much
difference, it sends out new pixels, right?  So this can be done anytime at all.
Bryce does (suggests to the user) this at the end after the whole image is done.