POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What we really need, CMPEG in C source` : Re: What we really need, CMPEG in C source` Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What we really need, CMPEG in C source`
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 5 Sep 2000 12:45:44
Message: <39B5233D.B9D9F39E@ij.net>
Dick Balaska wrote:

> Matt Giwer wrote:
> >
> > Warp wrote:
> > >
> > >   You should note that mpeg_encode is about 10 times faster than cmpeg.
> > >
> > >   No joking.
> >
> >         So far the best I have gotten are core dumps. If there is a secret to
> > making it run, I'd love to know it.
>
> Well with zero data, like a stack trace or seeing the control file you feed it,
> the best advise i can give is "Don't do that".
>
> I've been using mpeg_encode for 4 years and have not had one core dump,
> on NT or Unix.

	A bit of an apology here.

	Here is the situation. I went to
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/ftp/pub/multimedia/mpeg/encode/
	and download the linux tar.gz extract and I get 'cannot execute binary
file'. No source, only an executable and a man page. The modes are +x.
So I'm dead in the water.

	The core dump is not what I should have mentioned because I don't
remember precisely what I did after getting the source from the above.
It will not compile as found. But I don't remember at all what I did to
get it to compile which obviates my who comment on core dump.

	The problem with compiling is in libpnmrw.c at line 364 warning item
might be uninitialized. I got around that somehow -- obviously the wrong
way.

	Whatever I did, it executes the .param file then dumps. So I was making
some progress.

	So to go back to the basics, I can't even get the linux binary to
execute much less consider the .param file.