POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Added a misconceptions section to the PovVFAQ : Re: Added a misconceptions section to the PovVFAQ Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Added a misconceptions section to the PovVFAQ
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 3 Sep 2000 13:14:49
Message: <39B28971.112D476F@free.fr>
Warp wrote:

> Christoph Hormann <Chr### [at] schunteretctu-bsde> wrote:
> : Quite right about the motion blur, but when combining flash with long exposure
> : times in photography, you can achieve an effect similar to the one you
> : criticise.  Of course that's a rare occasion, and would require the main light
> : source being near the camera, but i wanted to mention it.
>
>   Should I mention this? If yes, could you write a more specific description
> of the phenomenon?

	If the shutter of the camera is open for a relatively long time (say
for instance one second) and that a bright light flashes the scene for a
short interval (i.e about 1/1000 of a second), this will "fix" the moving
objects due to their higher brightness at that time. In photography it is
more common to flash the scene just before closing the shutter to give a
"fixed" object with a dimmed trace behind (for better composition) or to
flash several times to give different snapshots of a moving object on a
single photo (as when studying human walk). There may have others examples
of using this effect, called "slow synchronization" from my french vocabu-
lary ;-)

*** Nicolas Calimet
*** http://pov4grasp.free.fr