POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : animated projectiles shot while moving : Re: animated projectiles shot while moving Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: animated projectiles shot while moving
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 1 Sep 2000 08:27:59
Message: <39AF9F93.4A990D21@my-dejanews.com>
ryan constantine wrote:

> has anyone done this before?  what i want to do is shoot a projectile in
> an animation simply by setting a variable like shoot=true or something
> like that.  then, while it is true, i'd like a shot to be fired at
> either steady or random intervals until set to false.  each shot should
> be its own entity.  it should query the host object to know which
> direction to move and from where it should start.  then it should know
> when it hits something and do something when it does.  the projectile i
> have in mind is a laser blast.  would the particle patch help me here?
> suggestions anyone?

I had been thinking of setting up my own missile defense animation and see
how hard it was!

I was about to give longer advice here , but I got confused by the concept
of a laser "querying its host object".

You can set up a system where you have eight variables defining your "flying
duck".

Position    (3 variables xyz, affected by velocity)
Velocity    (3 variables xyz, affected by gravity, willful acceleration)
DeadYet     (0=alive; 1=dead)
TimeoDeath  (Number of time frames SINCE I've been shot.  )

#if(DeadYet>0.5)
    #declare TimeoDeath=TimeoDeath+1;
#else
    #if(vlength (Postion-Bulletposition)<ContactDistance)  // ala Bob H
        #declare DeadYet=1;
    #end
#end

Then display duck, duck fragments, etc., based on above variables.

See:

http://www.geocities.com/pterandon/boids.html