POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : TUTORIAL WRITERS: 10 Best CD, Tutorial uploading format? : Re: TUTORIAL WRITERS: 2nd proposal..... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TUTORIAL WRITERS: 2nd proposal.....
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 1 Sep 2000 08:07:16
Message: <39AF9AB2.23BE534D@my-dejanews.com>
Just to point out some things:

IMAGE COLLECTION
The "Your 10 Best Images" Collection will take up 3 Mb per person.
Math: (0.25 Mb/image * 10 images +0.5M safety factor, thumbnails,etc.) = 3 Mb
The number of participants could be from 20 to 750 (The pre-announcement page is
ALREADY being linked to from the Japanese povray webring!)
So for just the image collection, this could easily fill up a CD.  200 people *
3 Mb/person=600 Mb.

TUTS
Yes, I'd like a consistent feel. But also I want the upload process to be
extremely orderly, as we are talking thousands of files on the server already
from the other collection.  Instructions to the masses of, "just go ahead and
upload your tutorials by ftp" doesn't cut it by my judgement. One dude will have
an 800 x 600 image with several zipped pov files; another will have 32 images
and an essay in txt format.  To get this into a user-usable format on the CD,
the CD _editor_ would instead really be the _writer_.
I want the upload to occur via a web page.  Even if it doesn't the server should
have a format by which it spits unruly files back out at the uploader, like
IRTC.  So should I make 20, 25, 250 spaces on the upload web page for files? I'm
wondering who's going to have something of real value with more than 25 jpg's.

As far as the size for tutorials, there's also a different philosophy for this
than the "your 10 best" collection.  The image collection is sort of a level
playing field--any bloke can upload anything of any quality.  For tuts, I intend
to be more picky. We may have second thoughts about inclusion or talk to the
woman who includes a 1600 x 1200 where a 640 x 480 would have done fine. My
overall philosophy is to make everything much more accessible than the image
collections we'd see at the IRTC site or on this server.