POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : hacking TARGA the easy way : Re: hacking TARGA the easy way Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hacking TARGA the easy way
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 29 Aug 2000 01:05:40
Message: <39AB44E4.C1E17EF6@geocities.com>
matt giwer wrote:

> Andrea Ryan wrote:
> >
> > http://www.wotsit.org/
> > There are specifications of file formats there, even gif with LZW.  I won't do
> > anything with the gif one for two years until the patent expires or just use the
> > better png format now.
> > Brendan
>
>         Honestly, they don't make a lick of sense to me. Nor can I reconcile
> them with what I see in a hex editor and that includes targa. I have
> tried to do it from the specs for years. This was an inspiration of just
> a few days ago.

Not bad as far as targa goes. The first 18 bytes is what matters.
Get the postscript version of the targa specs and it's all very simple. Just ignore
the new 2.0 stuff at the end of the file and stick with the 18 byte header.

Oh. Perhaps you didn't have the official targa docs.
Go to The Graphics File Formats Page at
http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/mxr/gfx/2d-hi.html

Get the two postscript files listed there. Way back when (1991?), I got them mailed
to me free from Truevision, and this is the same thing. Just ignore the new 2.0 stuff
that's all at the end of the file.