POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : height field object of new type : Re: height field object of new type Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: height field object of new type
From: matt giwer
Date: 28 Aug 2000 22:22:43
Message: <39AB1EDC.27A05A52@ij.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 16:00:38 -0400, matt giwer wrote:
> >       It was suggested I use a height field so I had to hack an image file
> >format.
> >
> >       Why should I or anyone have to hack an image file format? Not having
> >stared at the source files I assume all it is doing is extracting the
> >above data in the first place. Why not simply a format to read it
> >directly?
>
> There is a format to read it more-or-less directly: PPM format.  On a Unix
> box, try `man 5 ppm'

	I've looked at that. Thanks by not an issue. I have no problem now.
Using an image is a compact data format.

	I am suggesting a format alternative to an image file. This would be a
very simple data storage format, length, width, data. Single byte is
good enough for visualization. Lo hi byte data would be icing.

--
Every great journey starts with a single step
into a very large pothole.