POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : height field object of new type : height field object of new type Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  height field object of new type
From: matt giwer
Date: 27 Aug 2000 15:59:14
Message: <39A97366.15742219@ij.net>
I haven't been reading here in months so perhaps I am being repetative.

	How about a type that is not image related?

	It would be specified simply by

	height_field {
		RAW { length, width, point 1, point 2, ...}
	}

	Reason: (See 'concept to visualization' and '... II' in binaries) This
is related to visualizing z(x,y).

	I first implemented a visualization with a mesh save that generated 19M
data files, took forever and would crash a linux graphics terminal.

	It was suggested I use a height field so I had to hack an image file
format.

	Why should I or anyone have to hack an image file format? Not having
stared at the source files I assume all it is doing is extracting the
above data in the first place. Why not simply a format to read it
directly?

	POV is directly an aid to visualization of molecules in chemistry. This
can make POV a direct aid to the visualization of math in science and
engineering without the need to do image file hacks.

--
Remember, if the conspiracy isn't vast
it isn't right wing.