POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Need to change aspect ratio, how ? : Need to change aspect ratio, how ? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Need to change aspect ratio, how ?
From: Filiep Geeraert
Date: 23 Aug 2000 15:24:55
Message: <39A42654.E51F643E@poboxes.com>
Let me explain my situation first, OK ?

I don't know much about raytracing, and I feel like I 'll always be a
beginner, but I do admire some of the art that you can create with it.
For years I have dreamt of rendering those images at very high
resolution, have a photographer print them and then put them in a frame
on my wall.
And I don't mean to see this as a commercial thing.

So more than ten years later, technology has evolved, and local
photographers now allow you to send a JPG file to them, so that they can
print it at say, 20x30cm.

This is where the trouble starts.
Classical photography uses a 3:2 aspect ratio, whereas most images I can
find come in the 4:3 aspect ratio format, which you need for a full
screen picture.

Some of the scenes (like PACMAN.POV) can easily be changed by changing
the UP and RIGHT lines, sometimes you can add those lines to produce the
format you need.

But when I take a look at the IRTC, in many cases other camera types are
used, and I am unable to render them at another aspect ratio.

This, for instance is the camera part from CHAINREA.POV.
Could anyone tell me how I could recalculate this image to make it a
different aspect ratio (for example 16:9).
I choose 16:9, because then you can easily see if the image gets
deformed (rerender at 800x450, for example).

camera
{
 location  <30.0 , 24.0 , 24.0>
 look_at   <0.0 , 1.5 , 0.0>
 angle 25
 focal_point <0.0, 1.5, 0.0>
 aperture 0.4
 blur_samples 4
}

Any idea how I could change this camera so I get a 16:9 image or a 3:2
image ?
It 's just an example, but if there is a mathematical method I can use,
I could apply it to the other images as well.
I have already rerendered the Old Cinema image at 3000x2000 (aspect
ratio 3:2) and it looks very pretty.
I think other images would look great as well.