POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ANNOUCE: A CALL FOR IMAGES: A collection of pov-ray art on CD : Re: ANNOUCE: A CALL FOR IMAGES: A collection of pov-ray art on CD Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUCE: A CALL FOR IMAGES: A collection of pov-ray art on CD
From: Ken
Date: 23 Aug 2000 10:44:40
Message: <39A3E2C5.92EEDFED@pacbell.net>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> I'm sure others would enjoy your work if it made it to the CD.
>
> Perhaps it's just a bit of paranoia, BUT in this instance, someone (povteam)
> would be making $$ off of a depiction of someone's trademarked product.  I
> think the problem occurs when you charge people for a depiction.   I can sing
> Beatles' songs all I want in the shower but when I start recording their songs
> & selling them, it's another issue.
>
> My guess is that a car manufacturer would love having fan pics of its autos out
> there--the more people endear the car, the more car sales.  My guess is that
> Disney would sue in a heartbeat over sales of images of their characters.
> Lego, on the other hand, is sort of right in the middle, closer to a product
> than a copyrighted character.   So please YOU find out or please POVTEAM make a
> call.......

I am not speaking for the POV-Team or David but I will add that
the makers of LEGO have been known to actively pursue copyright
infringment against others in the past and are not considered
very tolerant of such activity (much like Disney). I would be
very careful about how the scene is labled and that the word
"LEGO" appears no where in the image.