POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ANNOUCE: A CALL FOR IMAGES: A collection of pov-ray art on CD : Re: ANNOUCE: A CALL FOR IMAGES: A collection of pov-ray art on CD Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUCE: A CALL FOR IMAGES: A collection of pov-ray art on CD
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 23 Aug 2000 08:22:44
Message: <39A3C0DD.C896D916@my-dejanews.com>
I'm sure others would enjoy your work if it made it to the CD.

Perhaps it's just a bit of paranoia, BUT in this instance, someone (povteam)
would be making $$ off of a depiction of someone's trademarked product.  I
think the problem occurs when you charge people for a depiction.   I can sing
Beatles' songs all I want in the shower but when I start recording their songs
& selling them, it's another issue.

My guess is that a car manufacturer would love having fan pics of its autos out
there--the more people endear the car, the more car sales.  My guess is that
Disney would sue in a heartbeat over sales of images of their characters.
Lego, on the other hand, is sort of right in the middle, closer to a product
than a copyrighted character.   So please YOU find out or please POVTEAM make a
call.......