POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My own raytracer, need some docs... : Re: My own raytracer, need some docs... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My own raytracer, need some docs...
From: Christian Perle
Date: 19 Aug 2000 08:56:53
Message: <399e8415@news.povray.org>
Simon Lemieux <lem### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> My scene has no light, nothing else than a few millions of cylinders
> all the same texture...  how can I optimize that for povray? Reduce the
> number of cylinders? Wrong!  That would also reduce the realism of my
> scene... what I need is a raytracer that would handle very easily and
> very fast such a big number of "Cylinder" and would be simply very slow
> when you would only have a cube...  Optimized for a large number of
> cylinders, that is what I need!  Also that I got a C++ program that
> calculate the position for all these cylinders and outputs the result
> in a povray script...  ( cylinder { <x,y,z> texture { TheTex }})  and

If all cylinder objects have the same texture why do you apply this
texture to each object? I would rather make a union and apply the
texture to the whole union object.

bye,
  Chris
--
Christian Perle              E-mail:        chr### [at] tu-clausthalde
Am Galgensberg 4             WWW:        http://home.tu-clausthal.de/~incp/