POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Voting : Re: Voting Server Time
26 Jun 2024 02:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Voting
From: J Charter
Date: 17 Aug 2000 22:38:27
Message: <399CA19D.7A91686D@aol.com>
> I think what the surrealists were trying to do was present the viewer or
> reader
> with an image that was illogical... something to force people to think in
> ways
> outside of how we've been taught to think.  Dreams have always been strange
> and confusing, so painters like Dali used them for inspiration.  The
> emphasis,
> though, was not so much on dreams as it was on subconscious or unconscious
> impulses.

Yes I agree, that is a very fair encapsulation.  I guess I just wanted to point
out that they still maintained the trappings of a depictional space.  But it
did go very far toward abstraction, especially with artists like Jean Arp or
late Jean Miro.  And I also agree that a revisiting of their brand of
"abstraction from reality" woulid make for an interesting group of raytraces.

Jim