POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Everyone should read this : Re: Everyone should read this Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Everyone should read this
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 14 Aug 2000 13:03:03
Message: <39982513.42BC0337@my-dejanews.com>
Ken wrote:

> "Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> > Didn't Ken sort of take some pre-existing lists and make them his own?
>
>  In all but a few cases
> they were added one by one but on those occasions where I found a
> useful collection of POV-Ray related links on someone else's page I
> took the time to visit each site on the list, bookmarked it, and then
> added my own comments to the link itself.

Perhaps I accused without warrant, but even then my point was that the crime
was inconsequential.  This practice you just described could be called
"stealing" someone else's ideas, kind of like reading all the footnotes in a
book and then writing your 'own' book.  Hey, people have been sued for
offering links to pages with links to pirated stuff, or sued for links to
someone's competitors, no?

I'm not one of those who hold that copyright is in itself outdated.  I think
what private citizens did at Napster was criminal (albeit undecided on
Napster's culpability).

As I said before, if someone stole one JPG or one tutorial at those sitse,
I'd be at the head of the mob.  I just can't get excited about piracy of
"favorite links".  If you look at my boids tutorial, I both invested a labor
of love in typing up a boids tutorial, and also in a bunch of links that I
think are cool.  I would take action if some stole the tutorial, be proud if
someone appropriated the links.
http://www.geocities.com/pterandon/boids.html

Q:  I visited both sites briefly.  The accused site had pretty cool
background images. Was there also an accusation of appropriation of the
images, too?