POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature requests for POV 3.5 : Re: Feature requests for POV 3.5 Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature requests for POV 3.5
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Aug 2000 10:14:56
Message: <3997fee0@news.povray.org>
news:3997f82f@news.povray.org...
| John VanSickle <van### [at] erolscom> wrote:
| : Learn something new every day...
|
|   How did you think png images are smaller than tga images?

I know I've zip-filed them before and essentially got no further
compression.
Testing this out real quick using the maximum setting in my zipping program
I get the following.
Targa files (uncompressed) will go to about 0.4 times their original size,
while compressed TGA starts out at half that of uncompressed TGA then goes
to about the same size as the other.  Jpg might actually increase in file
size.  And indeed PNG remains the same (as seen through Windows Explorer
stats).

Bob