POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature requests for POV 3.5 : Re: Feature requests for POV 3.5 Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature requests for POV 3.5
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 14 Aug 2000 03:15:09
Message: <39979CAD.3A755DFA@aetec.ee>
John VanSickle wrote:
> But I'll be interested in that storage space when I get around to
> making feature-length films.  90 minutes of 704x480 frames at 24fps
> works out to over 130 GB.

You have to store scenes as well. As someone from Pixar recently wrote
in c.g.r.renderman, average scene description size is 500 MB and big
scene is 2 GB (compressed!) per frame!. Add to this texture maps, which
could take even more space. This of course applies to RIB format and
perhaps POV-Ray will not require such amount of data.
(I think that you can't avoid texture images, if you want to render fast
and good scenes: ARM describes, how folks in Pixar at first wanted to
create all textures as procedural, but this proved to be too
inefficient).