POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anybody know this site? : Re: Anybody know this site? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anybody know this site?
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 13 Aug 2000 12:50:39
Message: <3996D1F6.24D7B16@kivisalo.net>
Chris Huff wrote:
> > u(xx) + u(yy) + u(zz) = 0 and
> >
> > u(x+1,y,z) + u(x,y+1,z) + u(x-1,y,z) + u(x,y-1,z) + u(x,y,z+1) +
> > u(x,y,z-1) = 6*u(x,y,z)
>
> only a slight idea what u() is supposed to do.

u is the density/potential at (x,y,z).

> Does it require that the density field be converted to a voxel image?

As I said before this algrithm is a numerical discrete approximation,
not analythical. The input and output are are voxel images just like
the 2d case works with 2d images. Only certain special cases of potential
fields can be solved analythically at any point. The whole volume must
be solved at once so it's impossible solve just one point at a time.

In povray terms this requires a pre-rendering pass to sample the volume
of interest at specified resolution and then solving the potential field
within that volume.

K.K.