POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Non-linear transforms : Re: Non-linear transforms Server Time
9 Aug 2024 08:59:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Non-linear transforms
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 13 Aug 2000 08:47:32
Message: <39969902.E17E2337@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Francois Dispot wrote:

> (see images in povray.binary.images)
>
> This little test shows how it is theoretically possible to do non-linear
> transformations on objects using megapov.

[...]

Don't know, whether this has been discussed before, but how about not
transforming the objects but distorting space itself ? That would probably
involve some elementary changes in the raytracing engine itself and can be very
time consuming with complicated transformations.  Furthermore it would affect
all objects in the scene equally, which would be something quite different.

I don't really know if this idea is realizable (i never looked at that part of
the Pov source btw. :-)

IIRC there are some efforts including relativistic effects in raytracing
programs which seems somehow similar to my idea (the influence of gravity fields
on light for example)

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>