POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature requests for POV 3.5 : Re: Feature requests for POV 3.5 Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature requests for POV 3.5
From: David Fontaine
Date: 11 Aug 2000 18:19:04
Message: <399479D9.536D3B0C@faricy.net>
Warp wrote:

>   Firstly: You can't modify an arbitrary object with an isosurface.

No. But with enough highly complicated pain-in-the-ass slow-calculating functions
almost any object can be translated into an isosurface...

>   Secondly: Yes, you can modify an isosurface function with another function.
> But is this really a transformation? When you modify a function with another
> function, you just create a third function. There are no specific
> transformations involved.
>   Yes, you can, for example, convert a cylinder-shaped isosurface into a
> cone-shaped isosurface. This is, however, done by actually creating another
> function, not by transforming.
>   Of course it is possible to think that any transformations are possible
> for an isosurface if you like.

But isn't that the same thing? I mean, you could create a cylinder in POV and
transform it and really have POV be finding a new function, and get the same result.

--
David Fontaine     <dav### [at] faricynet>     ICQ 55354965
Please visit my website: http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/