POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone read this? : Re: Anyone read this? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone read this?
From: Lance Birch
Date: 11 Aug 2000 00:13:02
Message: <39937d4e@news.povray.org>
My point was that the renderer is capable of a lot more than it's given
credit for.

More I was aiming at showing that despite what seems to be common opinion
around here, MAX has a wonderful renderer that produces great quality images
and animations.

As for the middle ball, the effect isn't a blob and couldn't be created (at
least not quickly) with one.  It's a procedural displacement map applied to
a sphere (which I've then used a derivative of as the diffuse color map, the
self-illumination map and then again on the shininess strength map so the
dark parts aren't as shiny as the red/orange parts).

Also what I was trying to show was that MAX has a very powerful material
editor, one capable of producing a huge range of different texture types *by
default*.  There's no need to add any plugins.  I guess if you really wanted
to, you can write you're own plugins too, with some knowledge of C++ (MAX
Professional comes with a huge library and reference manual on creating
plugins for all types of things in MAX, from objects, to materials, to
renderers, new lighting models, basically anything).

Anyway, if you want you can redo the scene, I'll get some co-ords for the
spheres and lights.  The camera has a fair few properties that you'll have
to translate into POV-Ray's camera model (for example in MAX you give the
field of view as an angle or mm measurement, I'm not sure how this will
translate to POV-Ray exactly).

--
Lance

The Zone