POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Matching braces, brackets and parentheses : Re: Matching braces, brackets and parentheses Server Time
6 Oct 2024 02:49:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Matching braces, brackets and parentheses
From: Pabs
Date: 10 Aug 2000 22:24:52
Message: <3993642E.DA1C4AFB@hotmail.com>
Halbert wrote:

> I recall that Borland C++ used to momentarily bold the matching braces as
> you typed allowing you to see the blocks of code you were editing.

Exel also does this when you are editing a formula.

> That would be a nice feature for the Windows or Mac editor. ( do any of the
> other
> platforms have integrated editors?)

I think Mark was contemplating a Linux one

> I usually use good indentation practices, but sometimes I like to put one
> short but complex expression on a single line and then the order of the
> braces and parentheses can be confusing.

very true, me to

> One other thing bothers me about the editor in Windows. Tabs don't seen co
> come out as tabs. If you tab once, you have to backspace several times to
> get back to where you were.

This is because you have set the option to convert tabs to spaces when typing.
Click on an editor tab, choose "Editor/Codemax properties" from the menu, click
on the "Language/Tabs" tab & uncheck the "Convert tabs to spaces while typing"
checkbox.

> Is there a way in the window editor to highlight matching <>{}() : When
> your cursor is close to one opening brace {, the editor make the
> matching closing brace blink or highlight or whatever. ( as found in
> many editors in Windows or Unix)

You would have to ask the POV-Team to make this change to their (donated) custom
version of the Codemax dll & include this in WinPOV 3.5 - I am under the
impression that the codemax's original author donated the src with this control
- is this true ?? If not you could suggest this to the author.

Also - Some WinPOV 3.5 feature requests.
- is there any chance that when the "Keep single instance" option is on and the
user opens a new instance of WinPOV with /EDIT on its command line that the file
will be opened in the already running instance. In 3.1g the running instance is
just brought to the foreground.
- when the "Keep single instance" option is on could new instances with /RENDER
or +i on their command line put these files in the render queue of the currently
running instance. In 3.1g /RENDER does the same as /EDIT & +i causes the
specified file to be rendered if the running instance is not already rendering

--
Bye
Pabs