POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cloud technique ???? : Re: Cloud technique ???? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloud technique ????
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 10 Aug 2000 19:27:47
Message: <39933a73@news.povray.org>
Mike <Ama### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> I was pondering how to do this and the clouds, sky, and sun are easy
> enough to do.  The only thing left was the lens flare and sun glow, but
> notice that in the cloud program the flare and glow vary with the sun
> intensity through the clouds.  Could post_process read the filter value
> of the sun through the clouds and use this to adjust the intensity of
> those?

A while ago I created a cloud animation that includes a sun lens effect,
with the brightness affected by the cloud density (~400 Kb AVI):

   http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax/movies/clouds.avi

The simple technique seems to work quite well, giving a glow around the
cloud edges, and leaving the sun disc itself visible through thick cloud,
when the rays and glow are not.  No doubt more complex flare effects could
be created using MegaPOV's features, but the original animation would just
about render in POV 3.0.