POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 3.5... Why??? : Re: POV 3.5... Why??? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:04:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.5... Why???
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 9 Aug 2000 17:35:55
Message: <3991cebb$1@news.povray.org>
(I'm a bit tired now, so my English might sound very, uhm... weird :-)

> >Let the POV-team put their time into POV4.0!
>
> 4.0 is a a really, really big project. Before having the engine
> rewritten from scratch it would seem logical to have that engine in
> the first place. See below.

Just because it's that big, I think they shouldn't 'waste' time making a
3.5.
What's the point in making an engine if you have to rewrite it when you're
finished?  Wouldn't it be better to make the engine as it should be?

> >POV3.5 probably won't be better than MegaPov anyway...
>
> Maybe not in terms of features, but it will hopefully be a step ahead
> regarding stability, compatibility, extensibility, maybe even ease of
> use (macros, isos...) etc.
Probably, but still I think they should start on 4.0 instead of making an
engine they will have to rewrite.

> Please note that I am not speaking for the Team (how could I?).
Telepathy?

ZK
http://www.povplace.be.tf