POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : dual G4 performance : Re: dual G4 performance Server Time
9 Aug 2024 08:59:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dual G4 performance
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 8 Aug 2000 07:32:42
Message: <398fefda@news.povray.org>
In article <398f77c2@news.povray.org> , "Ed Kaiser" <eka### [at] camdentdsnet>
wrote:

> I'm going to need to buy a new computer soon, and I'm wondering how well pov
> will run on a dual processor G4 500 mhz power mac. Are they as great as
> apple claims or should I just stick with pc's?

As the others already said, POV-Ray does not render faster on
multiprocessors systems right now.  As for other applications on Mac OS, it
depends on what else you want to do.

If you are only up for the fastest system to render with POV-Ray, a 1 GHz
Athlon will probably be the fastest (and, contrary to the 1 GHz Pentium, you
will be able to buy it ;-)

If you are going to do a lot of work with Photoshop, Premiere or a few other
applications supporting multiprocessing on Macs, go for the Mac.

If you are going to do "average" office work, editing text, websites, and
use POV-Ray occasionally, and you like the Mac OS, go for the Mac.

In general, except if you use POV-Ray or a few other processor intensive
applications (i.e. 3D games) exclusively, any system, even an iMac will
offer more performance than you will need.  And it will cost less :-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.