POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speaking of 3DS Max... : Re: Speaking of 3DS Max... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of 3DS Max...
From: Fabian BRAU
Date: 8 Aug 2000 04:25:39
Message: <398FC3EC.E4C3ADDA@umh.ac.be>
Hello All,

This is just to remind you that Pov-Ray is very great, moreover
it is free, but don't forget that commercial product are really
really impressive and fast. You can make scene very quickly
because of the very nice modeler and the rendering time are
really impressive even if you use raytracing and radiosity
(and for the test you just use scanline so this is very fast).

For those who don't believe me just look the quality of
the images I posted in the images group. This image just
show the quality of the renderer not the modeler. But
anyone know that the modeler of commercial product are
very impressive (just search for site which contain monster
etc.. made with 3ds, there are plenty :)).

Pov-Ray is great this is sure but you don't have the facility
that you have with commercial soft. So with Pov-Ray you can
sometime create scene which are not simple with commercial
software (you use the properties of scripting) but this is
rare, and now most of the commercial product have scripting
capabilities so...

Conclusion: Pov-Ray is incredible but only to do some
particlar things not all things. (everyone know that it
is impossible to model some particular thing without
importing mesh). But for rendering quality, the level is closed
to the best commercial one (Mental ray etc...)

Fabian.