POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : dual G4 performance : Re: dual G4 performance Server Time
9 Aug 2024 08:59:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dual G4 performance
From: Dick Balaska
Date: 8 Aug 2000 02:53:47
Message: <398FAE3E.40D39123@buckosoft.com>
Mike wrote:

> I use SMP on NT for rendering animations.  First I start two copies of
> the program and set the affinity to only one CPU for each.  Then I'll
> set one to render the first half of the animation and the other to do
> the rest.  The rendering takes half as long.
>
> -Mike

I do the same thing.  Linux users don't have to worry about affinity
because the scheduler has a concept of "preferred processor" which
is the cpu that previously ran the thread.  So a render will "stick"
to one cpu over the other.  NT, as BillG would say, "that is totally
random".

NT's scheduler is so dumb (how dumb is it?) that if i lock a render
to a CPU and then run another program; it will preempt the render
50% of the time, leaving the other CPU 50% idle as it flip-flops
between the two CPUs.

dik