POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : dual G4 performance : Re: dual G4 performance Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:06:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dual G4 performance
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 7 Aug 2000 23:18:52
Message: <398F7CB7.30717B5A@mailbag.com>
Ed Kaiser wrote:

> I'm going to need to buy a new computer soon, and I'm wondering how well pov
> will run on a dual processor G4 500 mhz power mac. Are they as great as
> apple claims or should I just stick with pc's?

POV-Ray isn't multi-threaded, so SMP may not help you much.  There are
unofficial parallel versions out there, but they mostly require Unix.
If you're looking to run Linux PPC, MkLinux, Yellow Dog Linux, NetBSD,
etc., you should be OK.  If you're planning on sticking with MacOS, a
second CPU isn't going to do much good (though they may be able to work
on OS X someday).

Thorsten, correct me if I'm wrong.

-Mark Gordon