POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Irtc : Re: Irtc Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:06:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irtc
From: John VanSickle
Date: 6 Aug 2000 19:52:04
Message: <398DFA82.6335A99D@erols.com>
Fabien Mosen wrote:

> Today, I had some words with a 3DSMax user that was frightened
> by a 1 week render of mine :-)))

I generally allow twenty minutes per frame when working on my IRTC
entries (allows a 50 second animation to be rendered in about two
and a half weeks).

I calculated that doing a film in POV-Ray, using 704x480 frames, at the
same rendering quality I use now would take 88 days of rendering on my
K6-2/300 for every minute of animation.

However, if I were to get serious about animation I would get a dozen
Athlons running at 800 MHz (this is where I appear to get the most
bang for the buck).  This would reduce rendering time down to 40 hours
for each minute of animation; a feature-length film could be rendered
in five months at this rate.  Whereupon I would probably increase the
render quality and set myself back time-wise...

Regards,
John
--
ICQ: 46085459