POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : mesh exploser : Re: mesh exploser Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh exploser
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 28 Jul 2000 16:10:05
Message: <3981e89d@news.povray.org>
> >Good to know I'm not the only one using the DivX-Codec.
>
> I was one of those who explicitly had to download it but do not regret
> it the least!
I'm using it for about half a year...  I think I'm one of the first users.

> >However: isn't DivX a cracked version of M$ MPEG-4?  And if so :  isn't
that
> >illegal?
>
> MPEG is nor owned by M$. They have that .asf or whatever that uses a
> limited version of MPEG-4 adopted for low-speed streaming video, but
> that's that. When QT4 wasn't out yet (nor MPEG 4) I read a few
> articles which pointer the latter as the most probable base for the
> former. I've seen it referred to as a wavelet-based compression
> algorithm as well as a fractal compression but whether any of these is
> true I cannot tell.
But there is a M$-MPEG4-format.  That doesn't mean MPEG is owned by M$ of
course...

> As of illegal... come on, this is M$ :)
I didn't say I had a problem using it.  Not at all :-)
Illegal or not: DivX is too good to not using it... (Is this correct
English?  Guess not :-( )

ZK
http://www.povplace.be.tf