POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : nosy parker : Re: nosy parker Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:42:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: nosy parker
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 12 Jul 2000 14:00:17
Message: <396cb231@news.povray.org>
Tom Melly <tom### [at] tomandluf9couk> wrote...
> Just out of curiosity....
>
> Why do the developers of POV-Ray do it? The fame, the glory, the fast
cars,
> the hot chicks?....

While those would be nice, it doesn't seem to work out that way.  I work on
POV for a number of reasons.  First and foremost, I love to program, and
even more, I love to program computer graphics.  I love the challange of
"solving the puzzle" to add the new feature.  Secondly, it gives me
opportunities to work on a large project and gain experience that will be
helpful in my future work.  Finally, I must echo Ron in saying that I'm an
egomainiac.  ;-)

> Second question, and I'm really not being rude here just curious, do any
of
> the POV developers trace a lot of stuff - most of the pages I've visited,
> such as Ron's, are fairly sparsely populated when it comes to actual
> ray-tracing....

When I started working with POV, I was a user/artist, and enjoyed
participating in the IRTC.  Since I began programming POV (UVPov, MegaPov,
and now the official version), I've had less and less time to create
artwork.  I hope to get back into it soon (but probably not until after the
release of POV 3.5).

-Nathan