POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray at LINUXTAG : Re: POV-Ray at LINUXTAG Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:35:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray at LINUXTAG
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 13 Jul 2000 04:25:41
Message: <396D7D04.78331008@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Alan Kong wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 22:28:35 +0200 Marc Schimmler
> <sch### [at] icauni-stuttgartde> wrote:
>
> >What's following up now is a thing of the POV-Ray team and hopefully
> >something good comes out in the end.
>
>   Hi, Marc. When and if the POV-Team changes our licensing arrangement,
> it will be because we feel it is in the best interests of POV-Ray. We
> may very well do so when *we* are ready.

I never would have assumed something else! In fact I made it very clear
that I am NOT a member of the POV-Ray team and that I speak only as a
user. I also said that probably 90% of the user don't care about the
license because it doesn't interferes with their use.

>   If Mr. Stallman does not like our current licensing he is FREE to feel
> that way. If he wishes to express his opinions in public using hand
> gestures than he is FREE to do so. We don't lose sleep at night,
> wondering if POV-Ray has lived up to Mr. Stallman's expectations of what
> software should be.

<g> Neither would I.

He is not the measure of everything but despite his behaviour there is
something to think about in his work. I pointed out to him that he's
not helping his ideas in the way he acted.

>   I do thank you for that story about Mr. Stallman's exploits at
> LINUXTAG. I found it to be quite amusing. I just hope that he did not
> cause you unwarranted embarrassment or humiliation in front of other
> people.

It takes more than RMS to humiliate me but I have been angered at that
moment in a very big way. That's also been the reason why I contacted
him.

>You were doing a very nice thing, representing POV-Ray in a good
> light. We thank you for that, Marc.

It's just that I try to give back a piece of the fun I have with
POV-Ray. It's a kind of saying "Thank you!"

All the Best,

Marc

--
Marc Schimmler