POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray at LINUXTAG : Re: POV-Ray at LINUXTAG Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:39:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray at LINUXTAG
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 12 Jul 2000 16:15:08
Message: <396CD4F3.DFDD095F@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Dick Balaska wrote:

> This used to bother me, this whole left extremist thing.
> In lawyer terms, the ACLU [1] are a bunch of nut cakes who
> will defend to the death any very-left cause.  This is a waste.
> But then i realized that if they didn't do this thing, the
> radical right would declare the death penalty for anyone
> reverse engineering code (or playing DVDs on Linux).  I think
> both sides are a necessary evil so that those of us in the
> middle can exist (mostly) peacefully.
>
> It's like labor unions.  Unions are bad, evil, corrupt.  But,
> take them away and management craps all over the workers.
>
> My favorite RMSism was when he invaded the linux-kernel list
> 4-5 years ago insisting that Linux be called liGNUx or GNU/Linux.
> We argued that by his rules, we could call it whatever we wanted,
> but he didn't buy that.
>
> BTW: i believe the name St. iGNUsious was given to him by salon.com
>
> I'm surprised RMS was at LINUXTAG.  He usually doesn't get invited
> anywhere.  The moderate left leadership of the FSF/Open Source movement
> try to keep him gagged in a closet, letting him out only to accept
> honorary doctorates from University D'Jour.
> ESR is the spokesperson of choice. ( http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/travelrules.html
> and upcoming talks: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/speaking.html )
>
> [1] American Civil Liberties Union

I contacted RMS directly when a colleague of mine mailed about licenses
with
him and asked him why he didn't used arguments instead of gestures in
regard
of POV-Ray. I have to say that his response had been very moderate and
he
explained in understandable why he acted like he did which cooled down
my
anger a lot.
What's following up now is a thing of the POV-Ray team and hopefully
something good comes out in the end. Part of me understands him when I
look back at his history.

I gues he had been invited due to the fact that the Debian team is
strongly
involved in the organization of LINUXTAG.
If you like to see some more pictures commented in english look at

http://www.guug.de/~winni/linux/tag/story/

WARNING!!! Huge page !!

All the Best,

Marc