POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray at LINUXTAG : Re: POV-Ray at LINUXTAG Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:41:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray at LINUXTAG
From: Dick Balaska
Date: 12 Jul 2000 09:24:12
Message: <396C7165.2D09385D@buckosoft.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> Unfortunately the FSF GNU project is lead by a fanatic.
>  Admitted, he is a "left extremist".

This used to bother me, this whole left extremist thing.
In lawyer terms, the ACLU [1] are a bunch of nut cakes who
will defend to the death any very-left cause.  This is a waste.
But then i realized that if they didn't do this thing, the
radical right would declare the death penalty for anyone
reverse engineering code (or playing DVDs on Linux).  I think
both sides are a necessary evil so that those of us in the
middle can exist (mostly) peacefully.

It's like labor unions.  Unions are bad, evil, corrupt.  But,
take them away and management craps all over the workers.

My favorite RMSism was when he invaded the linux-kernel list
4-5 years ago insisting that Linux be called liGNUx or GNU/Linux.
We argued that by his rules, we could call it whatever we wanted,
but he didn't buy that.

BTW: i believe the name St. iGNUsious was given to him by salon.com

I'm surprised RMS was at LINUXTAG.  He usually doesn't get invited
anywhere.  The moderate left leadership of the FSF/Open Source movement
try to keep him gagged in a closet, letting him out only to accept
honorary doctorates from University D'Jour.
ESR is the spokesperson of choice. ( http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/travelrules.html
and upcoming talks: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/speaking.html )

[1] American Civil Liberties Union

--