POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dog Bone with Yellow Peas (44 KB) : Re: Dog Bone with Yellow Peas (44 KB): The Image Server Time
18 Apr 2024 07:37:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dog Bone with Yellow Peas (44 KB): The Image
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 10 Jul 2000 21:54:22
Message: <396A7DDA.970C6F5A@online.no>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <3967E4EA.5D8BED36@online.no>, Tor Olav Kristensen
> <tor### [at] onlineno> wrote:
>
> > I'm only using some macros (in plain POV)
> > to make a 3D-map of the accumulated "field
> > strengths" of the different components in
> > the blob.
> >
> > Other macros then use this 3D-map to
> > select points in space with the "right"
> > "field strength".
> >
> > These points can again be used for new
> > components in a blob or for placing other
> > objects.
>
> Seems like using trace() in MegaPOV would be a much more efficient
> solution...it would also work with cylinder components, and scaled
> components.

As I understand from the documentation,
trace() can not provide the initial
points to "shoot" vectors from.

Nor can it provide the directions in
which to point the vectors so that
they point towards the blob surface.
(Or is there available a "field
direction" function in MegaPOV ?)

For complex blob shapes it will not be
enough to "shoot" several vectors from
a circle centre towards the circle
surface (nor from the surface towards
the centre).

But my macros can make use of trace()
to find the exact positions of the
blob surface once it knows all the
points to "shoot" from and in which
direction to "shoot" the vectors.

> Or if it is really the field strength you want, you could use
> eval_pattern() with the blob pattern...though this would also require
> MegaPOV.

I agree. This sounds like a faster way
to determine the "file strength" at a
point.

> Or you could use vtransform() to allow transformations to be applied to
> the components in your macros. Again, this would require MegaPOV.

I haven't read anything about
vtransform() yet.

Is it a MegaPOV feature ?

Tor Olav