POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images : Re: Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 8 Jul 2000 19:32:19
Message: <3967ba03@news.povray.org>
"Glenn Greenway" <gle### [at] isrvcom> wrote in message
news:B58D18EA.5F71%gle### [at] isrvcom...

|  What I really want to do is sketch out my image map in
| Photoshop then use it do displace isosurfaces or height fields:
| unfortunately the rendered images show considerable banding.
|
| Any other thoughts,

There just aren't any 16-bit image "editing" programs far as I know, except
for Mark Gordon mentioning the Hollywood Gimp which is (good) news to me.
Fractint can output 16 bit fractal images, but no control over them like a
hand-drawn picture.
There's a chance you could use your 8-bit image in a image_map pigment on a
plane and then focal blur it with very fine settings.  Sorry if that's been
said already.  Then just output using 'hf_grey_16 on' in the
'global_settings'.  Obviously not a perfect solution.

Bob