POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam : Re: Reply of Lightflow Technologies Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:39:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reply of Lightflow Technologies
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 7 Jul 2000 23:59:31
Message: <3966a723@news.povray.org>
jurek <jur### [at] yahoocom> wrote...

>Jacopo Pantaleoni, the programmer of lightflow, wrote me the fellowing
>email. I decided to post it.
    [clip]
> Lightflow is the fruit of hard work, and I want its
> development to become my job. Is it wrong ?
    [clip]
> Even if I think that a cooperation would not be possible
> now, because I am developing a commercial software,
> this does not mean that we would not be able to speak
> freely.

Just as I thought, Lightflow was intended to be for-profit, so this whole
discussion is somewhat of a moot point.  I agree with Jacopo that he has
every right to sell his software, and we should not think that he has any
obligation to give any of his work away for free.  (Instead, we should be
glad that he allows hobbyists to use it for free.)  Just please keep this in
mind when you compare the speed of development of Lightflow to the speed of
development of POV-Ray.

-Nathan