POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam : Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:42:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 7 Jul 2000 01:26:28
Message: <39656a04$1@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote...
>   It may be "vastly superior" or it may not. The visual appealing of a
couple
> of example images doesn't tell the whole truth about the quality of the
> program itself or even the features those example images show.

Interestingly enough, when I first found out about Lightflow, I downloaded
it and reproduced a number of the example scenes in POV-Ray with little
problem.  The trick was to find how the various Lightflow parameters
corresponded to POV parameters.  I only converted a few of the example
scenes, though, because it was taking a fair amount of time.

>   And in my opinion, trying to mix up two different programs can only make
> a maintenance nightmare (besides other problems).

True, but (as I said), some of the techniques from Lightflow (such as
tesselation and displacement mapping) would be welcome additions to POV-Ray.
I just doubt that the author would want to _give_ us his code.

-Nathan